Saturday, November 13, 2010

What lost looks like

I have been out wondering and again I have managed to get myself lost again so thought I would show you what lost looks like. I have no idea where I was, even now when I look at a map. The streets are like a rabbit warren and impossible to navigate. There are lots of little alley ways and minimal sign posts. I often rely on the sun for working out which way to go but it is tricky in these little roads.  I was obviously off the beaten track somewhat going by the number of looks that I got (more than usual...and thats a lot!).
Lost AGAIN somewhere west of Dunbar Square and south of Thamel

The streets are really this narrow and feels somewhat clostrophobic and the thought that this is on an earthquake fault line does not reassure me any.

You start to know you are getting close to somewhere when you start seeing more westerners and the tiger balm salesmen start popping out of nooks and cranies.

If this works the video below will give you an idea of what some of the roads are like here. This is an inner city street. This is not the back blocks. In the background you may hear my guide Jack explaining the current political state of Kathmandu where there is a caretaker government in at the moment and an another election (and the final chance the UN is giving them) in January. As Jack said "it is good that you travel now miss Bronnie...January who know".
This next video is of the street traffic in outer Kathmandu. It was probably around rush hour but it seems this chaotic and crazy all the time. Crossing the street is quite easy...you just J walk. Vehicles will usually stop or narrowly go around you and always honk their horn to let you know that you are in the way.


Till next time

1 comment:

  1. Crazy traffic! A good horn would be worth the money... ha ha!

    ReplyDelete