Friday, November 12, 2010

Should have read the guidebook...if I had one

I have had a quiet couple of days in Kathmandu. Despite what I have read and heard I dont particularly mind they busy city of four million. On Wednesday I went to another Stupha (i.e. a block of round concrete) which people walk around in a clockwise motion in the hope that someone will see and help them get a better afterlife. Buddism seems to be a lot of rituals in the hope of something that is not guaranteed. Quite empty really. I also went for a peek into a monestry. Not sure if I was allowed there but I didn't get thrown out so took a quick snap.
Boudhanth Stoupa
Trainee monks at a monestry near Boudhanth Stoupa
Yesterday was a deliberate "temple free" day so I splashed out on a 1 hour foot massage for $10.00. Probably got ripped off but in the big scheme of things does it really matter when the massage is so good. It was more of a bone massage than a muscle massage and I have some soreness today but that will subside.

Today after a walk where I got well and truly lost and then found I ventured out into the big Kathmandu world and headed off to Pashupatinath temple. The half hour taxi ride cost me $3.00 (petrol is 85 cents a litre).
Quality taxis. I tried to work out what it was but it appears it is a plain pack car. It definately needs some new rear wheel bearings


If I had a guidebook, I would have been forewarned about what was to come. Seems that today is a good day to visit if you are into cremations. I wasn't aware that this is what happens at this temple. To get there you have to go past the old peoples home (so convenient!), enter the gates and right there is the ghats where the bodies are cremated. Apparently a female takes 5 hours and a man takes 4 hours to be reduced to ashes. The ashes are then put into the river that eventually winds its way to the ganges in India.
The lead up

And so it starts
A busy day at the ghats

Note the monkey in the foreground
I also have another photo but figured you didn't want to see the dead persons hand and head.

Very similar to the camp fires that you sit around, no matter where you walk the smoke follows and now I have a very yucky taste in my mouth despite having a salami pizza on the way home. Also at this temple are some very cunning and probably rich "holy men" who pose to have their photo taken. I counted one getting his photo taken 17 times at $1.14/photo so figure they are probably some of the richer people in Kathmandu.

I almost got away with it until I realised he was following me...!!!
I actually paid for this one. Probably the richest man in Kathmandu
Right behind where the cremations were happening is the cornea excision centre. A bit of a worry!!
 The sights and sounds during the day never cease to amaze but at night it is silence. Not a horn sounding, no roosters, no dogs just silence and it is almost too quiet when you consider the hussle and bussle of the day.

The weather has been perfect everyday so far with sunny skies and the temperature in the mid 20's. Night time is a bit chilly at about 10 degrees.

I have also had some fun with internet cafe's and if you feel a bit tired and need to look at the keyboard from time to time it can be a bit confusing. 

A few added extras that make you look twice
While completely lost I found a local butcher shop. Autopsy revealed goat. There is a pork one near my "hotel"
 
A nice sign to see

 I would also like to  mention that Mr Google maps needs to come to Kathmandu because the maps do not resemble anything that is actually here. After some days I have managed to find the Garden of dreams which is this garden (see below) that is an escape from the noisey outside world and a nice place to stop for a while. It is not very big but a nice change from Kathmandu.

The "Garden of Dreams" in central Kathmandu
 So, that is it for a while. I appear to be getting a cold at the moment which is not pleasing to me. Figured the stress of work has gone and so comes the coughs and colds. Time for me to head back to the  "hotel" which is a left turn at the knife stand and then a right at the bong shop...easy even when the power is off.

2 comments:

  1. I'm loving the updates Bron - thanks. It looks like you are finding/seeing some interesting things!! I hope that cold doesn't hit you hard. Enjoy - miss you. Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh god! Gruesome! Anyway, I wonder why a lady takes longer to burn than a man? Perhaps they burn her at a lower heat. Do they do anything with the ashes?

    ReplyDelete